The new metaphor: The haystack and the 777

Tue Mar 25 04:57:54 UTC 2014

Joel S. Berson wrote
> "Australian military official", quoted (in TV text display) by CNN
> tonight (that is, early Tuesday morning EDT):
>
> "We're still trying to find where the haystack is."
>
> Longer quote at http://http://uk.inagist.com/ --
>
> "We're not searching for a needle in a haystack, we're still trying
> to find where the haystack is."
> Aussie vice chief of def staff

Thanks, Joel. I've heard that extended metaphor in the past. Here is
an instance with a GB date of 1956. I suspect it is considerably
older:

Journal Title: The Florida Bar Journal
Volume 30
Page 433
Year 1956
(Google Books snippet data may be inaccurate)

{Begin extracted text]
IF YOU ARE going to search for the proverbial needle in a haystack,
you must first find the haystack. Probably a great many lawyers shun
tax research because they are uncertain where the haystack is.
[End extracted text]

Garson