pump, n. = slut

Tue Mar 25 22:31:51 UTC 2014

David Barnhart write:
>> the school pump

Wilson Gray wrote
> I heard this as "the *town* pump," with the relevant meaning, punning on
> Hawthorne, I assume,  ca. 1970, when I was a student at UC Davis.

Here are two examples of "town pump" with the relevant sense, I think.

The Rabbit Factory: A Novel - Page 337
Larry Brown - 2003
(Google Books Preview)
[Begin excerpt]
But even after he'd sobered up the next day and had taken a good look
at her lying naked in the bed next to him, sleeping, with her wild
hair around her face, it hadn't mattered that she was the town pump.
He'd always feared he wouldn't be ...
[End excerpt]

A Regular Guy - Page 259
Mona Simpson - 2011
(Google Books Preview)
[Begin excerpt]
When she was pregnant, he'd told people she was the town pump. And now
he wanted her daughter for the front row. Jane was the only child
here. People nudged to point her out. Now she wanted to hold her
mother's hand because of what ...
[End excerpt]