is "trade" the new "substitute"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 25 23:49:07 UTC 2014

Has anyone encountered reversed "trade x for y" being used in a context in which it's y that's acquired and x that's given up?  We've discussed (every few months) the inverse "substitute", as in

Traditional moussaka is done with eggplant. What we’ve done is substitute eggplant for
potato.
—from Iron Chef America potato recipe show, via Victor Steinbok on this listserv 11.8.11

So the reversed or inverse "trade" would be an example like:

I'll trade you A for B

in which the speaker is proposing to relinquish B in exchange for obtaining A, rather than the other way around.

I'm told this is now common enough that some young whippersnappers (trading e.g. video games or baseball cards or whatever) now no longer use the verb "trade" because nobody knows what's being proposed, and instead just goes with "I'll give you A for B", whose meaning I assume remains unchanged.  Anyone familiar with this innovative use of "trade"?

LH