is "trade" the new "substitute"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 27 00:03:28 UTC 2014

On Mar 26, 2014, at 7:22 PM, Randy Alexander wrote:

> I'm not sure how these two could be different:
>
> a. I'll trade you X for Y.
> b. I'll trade you Y for X.
>
> Or even:
>
> a. I'll trade you this for that.
> b. I'll trade you that for this.
>
> In either case X and Y switched places.

Let's say I'm the general manager of the Angels, whose star player is Mike Trout, and I call you, the general manager of the Detroit Tigers, whose star player is Miguel Cabrera.  In my dialect, I can say into the phone "I'll trade you Trout for Cabrera" but not "I'll trade you Cabrera for Trout".  Or, if you're not into baseball, let's say I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my lunchbox and you take a prosciutto and provolone sandwich out of yours.  I can offer to trade my PB&J for your prosicutto and provolone.  I can't, in my dialect, offer to trade your prosciutto and provolone for my PB&J.  The innovating speakers can do it either way, I'm told.

In your example, for me "I'll trade you my X for your Y" (or "this for that") is a possible offer, but not vice versa.  So maybe you're a speaker of what I'm calling the innovative dialect.  Similarly I can say (if I'm the Angels' GM) "I'll trade (you) Trout" but not "I'll trade (you) Cabrera"; I can only say "I'll trade for Cabrera".  Maybe I'm an old fogey on this.

LH