Shifting usage: "Who quoted this?"

Thu Mar 27 19:20:42 UTC 2014

A couple years ago I came across websites with questions of the form
"Who quoted this?" I believe the queries were asking for the name of
the person who originated a particular quotation.

I apologize if this has already been discussed ad nauseam

Merriam Webster has:
quote (verb)
1. to repeat (a passage, phrase, etc.) from a book, speech, or the
like, as by way of authority, illustration, etc.

So the meaning of the verb has shifted for some speakers. Here are two examples.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120426210420AAu5k9Z

[Begin excerpt]
Do you know who quoted this?
who quoted:
"family is not about blood it's about who is willing to hold your hand
when you need it the most"
Update 1: other than me obviously Looney, you know what i meant :p
[End excerpt]

One response:
[Begin excerpt]
You just quoted it.
[End excerpt]

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?32643-Who-quoted-it

11-29-2011, 07:37 PM #1
Bruce M (offline Senior Member)
Location Chesapeake VA
Subject: Who quoted it?

[Begin excerpt]
    Im a big fan of good quotes and I just remembered this stupid game
we played in school where someone would tell a quote and we had to
guess who quoted it. I'll start.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments
of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge
and controversy"

    EZ one, I know, but its one of my favorites.
[End excerpt]

Garson