"call it quits" as phrasal eggcorn?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 27 20:12:30 UTC 2014

At 3/27/2014 02:51 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Really interesting, this "dialect split".  Amazing that we can all
>claim to be the same language when we can't agree on what calling it
>quits entails!  (As indicated, I'm with Dan on this,

I am too, having the multiple possible meanings.  Except I can
generalize "I'm calling it quits" to mean "I'm finished with it" even
when it's not even and not about a deteriorated
relationship.  However, I don't have a similar understanding of
"We're quits" -- that requires some consent from the other person.

In my previous message I was only discussing the "we're even" sense.

Joel