Flammable and inflammable

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 28 14:20:44 UTC 2014

Many years ago the U.S. federal government required truck signs to
display (change to) "flammable" and "non-flammable".  Because many
people were confused.

For the requirement to change from "inflammable" to "flammable", see
"Code of Federal Regulations", Title 49, Parts 71 to 90, Revised as
of January 1, 1964, http://tinyurl.com/k4swopn (GBooks) -- page 7,
note 1:  "Where the word 'INFLAMMABLE' is now painted [etc.] on tank
cars, ... portable tanks, or other containers, it may be continued
until such tanks or other containers are repainted ... and at such
times shall be replaced with the word 'FLAMMABLE' unless otherwise
ordered by the Commission."

(These regulations also control the color of signs for hazardous substances.)

I suspect the terminology has been standardized internationally by convention.

Joel