Fwd: RE: Eddystone Light Fwd: Re: buoy [boy] ~ [BOO-ee]

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Sat Mar 29 18:15:35 UTC 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        RE: Eddystone Light Fwd: Re: buoy [boy] ~ [BOO-ee]
Date:   Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:14:21 +0000
From:   Steve Gardham
To:     Ballad List <ballad-l at list.indiana.edu>

My good friend and fellow collector Jim Eldon informed me a few years
ago that the Bridlington, Yorkshire fishermen pronounce it 'BOOee' and I
had never heard of it before. The only pronunciation I'd ever heard,
living in Hull 30 miles away, is BOY, though we normally call those on
the Humber 'markers'.

SteveG