a font that no one knows why it exists

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Mar 30 10:51:44 UTC 2014

It surprises me that nobody has pointed out why this construction is necessary. Many moons ago Haj Ross discovered that certain kinds of relative clause were impossible (actually, it was more than relative clauses, but I'll keep it simple).

If the noun being modified by a relative clause, in this case 'font', is separated from the place where it is 'understood' to have originated by a sentence that begins with a WH word, the relative clause will be bad:

..weird computer font [ that nobody knows [WHY ___ exists] ]

As Haj pointed out, this construction can be 'saved' by replacing the gap with what is called a resumptive pronoun, but, at least in English, these tend to sound clunky or worse.
FWIW, in some languages (such as Arabic) relative clauses with resumptive pronouns are just fine.

The same phenomenon occurs when constructing WH questions:

What did you find [that nobody believed [WHO lost _____ ] ] ?
vs.
What did you find [that nobody believed [WHO lost it] ] ?

The second is better than the first, which is almost word salad.

Haj called it the 'WH-island constraint', because he said nothing could be 'moved out of' a clause headed by a WH word. Chomsky later called it 'subjacency'. I haven't kept up with syntactic theory recently to know if that's what it's still called.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.