lipstick on a pig

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 2 03:37:21 UTC 2014

Randy Alexander's revival (thanks, Randy!) of Ben's "lipstick on a
pig" question prompted me to see whether anything new (well, old) has
popped up since September, 2008.

Here's something solid from 1974 and a pretty strong hint that the
expression (at least involving "hog") goes back to 1964.  Of course,
I'd be happy to see other research on this that I may have missed.

-- Bonnie

P.S.  Ben's 2008 VisualThesaurus column is here,

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/of-pigs-and-silk-and-lipstick/

-----------------------------------

He urged dipping into $2 million in bond issue proceeds set aside for
new airport site acquisitions to make further improvements at Ryan.
Landry said, however, that would be "like putting lipstick on a pig.
What would you do with it?"  [From "Dr. Landry Ousted from Post as
Chairman of Airport Body," State-Times (Baton Rouge, LA), 6 March
1974, p. 8A; via geneaologybank.com.]

And on 28 April 1964, The Rockford [Illinois] Register-Republic
reprinted an editorial (originally appeared in The Richmond [VA] News
Leader) that bears the title "Lipstick on a Hog."  It discusses the
government's testing of cosmetics, including lipsticks, on pigs.  The
title suggests that "putting lipstick on a hog/pig" may have been
known in 1964.  (The reprinting is on p. 12-A of that issue.)