lipstick on a pig

Fri May 2 05:25:50 UTC 2014

Excellent perfume citations, Bonnie.

Here are some other animals with lipstick: "putting lipstick on the
tiger" in 1956 and "putting lipstick on trained Polar Bears" in 1958.

Date: September 9, 1956
Newspaper: Plain Dealer
Newspaper Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Section: This Week Magazine
Article: Europe's Battle Of The Billboards
Article Author Blake Ehrlich
Start Page: 10
Quote Page: 31
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
But a chap from the Ministry of Housing and Local Government, top
regulatory body regarding billboards, told me, "Many persons consider
landscaped signs to be merely putting lipstick on the tiger." Leading
architect Sir Hugh Casson said of the new development: "This is the
ultimate hypocrisy."
[End excerpt]