Antedatings of "FUBAR"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 5 09:52:56 UTC 2014

OED: January 1944

Here's an October and a November 1943.

---

First a Google snippet, but I think I can make out "October 14, 1943"
at the bottom of the page.

Engineering News-record - Volume 131 - October 14, 1943 (?) - Page 5

[Begin]
By that time we all agreed the situation was FUBAR (politely
translated: fouled up beyond all recognition). We lost three days by
that maneuver, but finally got to Adak the tenth day.
[End]

https://encrypted.google.com/books?id=TMkjAAAAMAAJ&q=fubar&dq=fubar&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OVVnU6b8K8aJywPU5oGADA&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBw

The record in HathiTrust is search-only for me, but I get "p.5 - 1
matching term" in Engineering news-record. v.131 1943 Oct-Dec.

Please can someone with full-view verify?

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=mdp.39015021308062;view=1up;seq=1;q1=fubar;start=1;size=10;page=search;orient=0

---

Second, a Google snippet from Time, Volume 42, 1943, page 66:

[Begin]
MORALE
Superlative
In the soldier's sardonic lexicon of World War II, "snafu" and related
words (all meaning, roughly, "utter confusion") reached a new
superlative: "fubar." Meaning: "fouled up beyond all recognition."
Who's Afraid?
[End]

https://encrypted.google.com/books?id=zNcLAQAAIAAJ&q=fubar&dq=fubar&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OVVnU6b8K8aJywPU5oGADA&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw

I don't have a Time subscription to confirm and it doesn't show in
their search results (perhaps this filler isn't archived/searchable),
but the piece following it ("How troops behave under fire...") is from
Monday, Nov. 22, 1943, as is the piece preceding it ("His immediate
superior is a submarine man...").
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,851900,00.html
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,851899,00.html

---