bodice-ripper (1978), bodice-ripping (1979)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 6 14:40:07 UTC 2014

Don't bodice-rippers have to be set in the past, whence the "'hot' historical novel" paraphrase?  A "sexually explicit romantic novel" isn't necessarily a bodice-ripper if it has a contemporary bodice-less setting, such as (I'm told) the "50 Shades of Gray" franchise.

LH