all yo(l)ked up

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 7 00:59:14 UTC 2014

Someone off-list wonders whether the original expression is "(all) yoked up" or "(all) yolked up", usually meaning something like 'ripped', 'muscular, or 'buff'.  (See e.g. urbandictionary.)  Going through web hits, it looks to me as though "yoked" is the original and "yolked" an (appropriately enough) eggcorn, but I can't be sure whether that's the case and, if so, exactly how "yoked up" was derived (from the original oxen, perhaps).  Does anyone know?  No listings in the eggcorn database.  And no relevant OED lemma, which isn't too surprising.  I'd check HDAS, but…

LH