prompt = 'writing assignment for students'

Wed May 7 02:00:37 UTC 2014

There was a ADS mailing list discussion thread about "prompt" and
essay assignments back in December 2012.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;9d8864f2.1212A

But there is still room for more discussion and earlier citations.
Garson