To bodice-rip (was Re: bodice-ripper (1978), bodice-ripping (1979))

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu May 8 17:45:38 UTC 2014

Enough with the verbal nouns, on with the backformed verb "bodice-rip".
Here's "to bodice rip":
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22bodice+ripped%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp#channel=np&q=%22to+bodice+rip%22&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

For example:

Being in love is hard work. So is being in lust. Just ask a professional
tango dancer. Night after night, the good ones come out looking ready
*to bodice-rip*; men grasping at skin like it's freshly fired porcelain,
women clinging knee-to-thigh as if strong tendons are the secret to
sealing the deal.
http://www.fishnetsandfedoras.com/

I am glad to say that this film does not give in to the temptation*to
bodice-rip*, a tendency which has detracted from so many recent
dramatisations.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/rR15KXSP2Z0SZGP

Here's a hapax "bodice-rip me":

Dude, I can read her MySpace page, myself. I don't need batteries for
that. I expect you to do the real-work. I expect you to work the dirt,
get grimy, come home sweaty, seething of manhood, and f'n take me. Throw
me down with your insight. *Bodice rip me *with your scoop, with your
quoted, anonymous, well-placed sources.
http://landoftampico.blogspot.com/2008/03/ny-times-article.html

And one of a couple of "bodice-rip her":

Basically, the Raider raids, and then checks in with Jessica to
*bodice-rip her* every so often.
http://readreactreview.com/tag/jude-deveraux/

Neal