"sportive" (2005)

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 18 19:54:01 UTC 2014

"Sportive" (n., a long-distance road cycling event) has been added to
Oxford Dictionaries in the latest quarterly update:
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/05/new-words-may-2014/

Here's a 2005 dating.

From: "MartinM" <mart... at wcms.org.uk>
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Training for L'Etape 2006
Date: 7 Sep 2005 13:13:53 -0700

[Begin]
I haven't ridden l'Etape but did a mountainous French sportive this
year, the only thing I could think to add to the good advice here is;
Drink, drink lots, drink all the time, preferably isotonic drinks. And
eat loads as well.
 And don't try and stay with a bunch you are not happy keeping up with.
They take their sportives very seriously indeed, I don't know your
abilities but if you are used to audax and century ride type things you
may be well down the field so stay at a pace you are comfortable with.
And above all enjoy it!
[End]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/uk.rec.cycling/GI-Fw7sAIuU/o4-s0txhZFEJ

Hugo