an antedating "how to"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 21 11:37:27 UTC 2014

Yow! (as one of my professors used to say). This is a great question,
because it may never have been asked before.

I spent nearly forty years (count 'em) not only antedating words and
meanings but finding others that dictionaries didn't include. Back then the
OED, DAE, and DA were essentially the only relevant major dictionaries with
dates.

One can't just pick a word and antedate it.  In the Internet and Database
Age the odds are that the online OED revisions - as far as they go -
include the earliest antedatings from published sources anybody will ever
find of any given word. The number of antedatings posted here are minuscule
compared with the entire OED, and as far as I can tell very, very few
antedate the latest OED revisions.

The good news is that it's now possible in theory to antedate something
online in just a few minutes. When I was doing it, there *was no
Internet*.   The best way to antedate a word was to pick up an old book or
article on a particular subject and trust to luck.

That's how the OED used to do it too. Except they had lots of readers, not
just one.

Not very practical for a class assignment.

May I suggest a simpler exercise?  Why not have each student pick a word or
phrase that is new to them and seems lexicalized (you'll have to explain
what that means), and have them look the meaning and the earliest given
date in the OED. You should emphasize that the earliest given date of a
word will almost never be the date of its earliest actual use, because that
information is by its very nature unrecoverable.

If they can't find the item in the online OED, the next step is the Web.
And they'll almost certainly find what they're looking for.  The object, of
course, wouldn't be to find an antedating, just to familiarize the students
with the idea that their lexicon has a history that continues to evolve,
and that their preconceptions may well be wrong - always a valuable lesson.

Many may be surprised to see how much old their word or phrase really is.

(I still can't believe "awesome sauce!" goes back more than six months, but
maybe that's just me.)

JL