an antedating "how to"?

Tue May 27 16:03:55 UTC 2014

Joan Hall sent me off-list the DARE entry for this technical terms from
marblery.  It seems that the Temperance Advocate is an antedating by a
generation or so.

I never played marbles when I was a boy.  I just wasn't very athletic, I
guess.

Meanwhile, my original point was that searching the 18th & 19th C digitized
files for expressions that might have served as an introduction to a word
or phrase that the writer thought odd, or new, or cute, or ignorant, could
lead to antedatings.  So it has proved.  In this case, the introduction was
"as the *little boys say*", which I checked in only one of the available
files.  "As the *boys say*", "as *they say in* Brooklyn" (or some other
barbarous locality), or "to *use* a Kentucky *expression*" (ditto) would be
others.

Meanwhile, I thoughtlessly left you all with a cliff-hanger, pretty near
literally.  I left you with the drunk teetering on the edge of a clay-pit.
He didn't fall in; he turned and staggered off in another direction.

GAT

GAT

GAT