"PERmitted"

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 28 14:53:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Alice Faber <faber at haskins.yale.edu> wrote:

> I recall some previous discussion of this, probably here. In any case,
> there may be a distinction, whereby PERmitted means "having a (legally
> required) permit", in contrast to perMITted meaning simply "allowed".

I'm married to an environmental engineer/general contractor.  For what
it's worth, here in central North Carolina you obtain a "PERmit" to
proceed with such work.  Therefore, the project is "PERmitted" and not
just "perMITted."  So, Alice has it right, at least when it comes to
(my) local usage.

-- Bonnie