Pronunciation of Donetsk

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 29 04:46:19 UTC 2014

One more thing related to the Ukrainian events:
99% of the on-line news mention "Slovyansk" (which is wrong) instead of
"Slavyansk", probably trying to avoid any association with the English
¨slave¨, or thinking that the root of "Slovyansk" is "slovo" (Russian and
Ukrainian translation of the English "word".
Meanwhile the root of the correct city name -- Slavyansk -- is the same as
in ¨Slavic¨¨ and/or "Slav(s)."

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Pronunciation of Donetsk

> Today I heard a local Boston news announcer say "duh-neck".
>
> Joel

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.