[Ads-l] A Chinese Proverb of dubious provenance

Sat Nov 1 20:26:37 UTC 2014

Just a guess, but it sounds like a paraphrasing of wuwei (无为 wúwéi) or wei wu wei (为无为?). The term is on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei>) but not the Oxford Dictionary site or Wiktionary.

Wúwéi is well attested in English. The earliest mention I see is 1853 or 1854 (http://bit.ly/1wTiS3o <http://bit.ly/1wTiS3o>):

-----
Article IV. Notice of the Wu-Wei-Kiau.
Transactions of the China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, Parts 4-6:

p. 63: The phrase “Wu-wei,”—to do nothing,—occurs in the writings of the early Tauists, long before Buddhism appeared in China.

p. 64: I give another quotation—it is from the second of the great Tauist authors, Chwang-tsi: “The way of heaven,” he says, “is not to act, (wu-wei,) and therein and thereby to be the most honoured of all things. The way of men is to act (yeu-wei,) and to be involved in trouble."
——

I didn’t search for earlier mentions of the Wu-Wei-Kiau/Kiao (无为教) sect.

Chwang-tsi appears to be Zhuang Zhou (Zhuāngzǐ) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuang_Zhou <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuang_Zhou>). I imagine that yeu-wei is 有為 (yǒuwéi).

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home