[Ads-l] "put on the dog" -- Mississippi vernacular?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 2 00:41:22 UTC 2014

I'm familiar with it, and I've only been close to
Mississippi.  One quotation in the OED:

S.v. "lace-curtain":  1934   J. T. Farrell Young
Manhood Studs Lonigan xviii. 282   They were all
trying to put on the dog, show that they were
lace-curtain Irish, and lived in steam-heat.

Joel