[Ads-l] "Might as well," re-analyzed; dialect clash

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Nov 3 03:05:35 UTC 2014

Just to add to the discussion, let me point out that flap deletion is a frequent process in American English (see Nathan 2008: 98), so that 'might as well' is often something like

[maɪzwɛl]

in Standard English also, and, of course, since /n/ is also flapped intervocallically in the same environments as /t,d/, and also subject to the same deletion process, the two 'phrases' would be homophonous except for nasalization.

Nathan, Geoffrey S., 2008. Phonology: A Cognitive Grammar Introduction. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: Benjamins.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.