[Ads-l] Sentence-final though / tho / doe

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Nov 5 03:42:05 UTC 2014

Anyone have anything to say about sentence-final "though / tho / doe"?
I've heard it from my son and his peers, and seen it on some internet
memes. On the surface, it's nothing more than the ordinary
sentence-final "though", but its (possibly over-perceived) frequency,
and presence in a very informal register, often in AAE-influenced
language (as indicated by the "doe" spelling) make me think there's more
to the story. Below are a lot of Urban Dictionary entries I've collected
for it. Of course you have to take the opinions with a grain of salt,
but the entry dates are useful information, and the examples ring true.
Interestingly, for some speakers it seems to have drifted far enough
from its meaning as a marker of contrast that they now interpret it as a
noun of direct address, like "bro" or "dude"; see last two definitions.

Neal

*THOUGH***

To add more unecessary words to a sentence....though is not really used
for much when coming at the end of an already complete sentence.

What up though?

When you coming over though?

His fit was clean though.

by Angeleka <http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Angeleka>
September 18, 2003

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=though&defid=256927

although, however, nevertheless

Also unnecessarily used after an object by many girls on facebook
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=facebook> in order to
bring attention to said object.

ex.1 Though Jamie knew she was right for Rick, she dated Tom.

ex 2. Jamie dated Tom, though she knew she was right for Rick.

ex 3. Teenage girl on facebook:"my eyes/hair/face/neck/shirt/body/etc.
thoooo<3"

ex 4. That ass was so nice though...

by MoHizzo <http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=MoHizzo>
December 26, 2012

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Though&defid=6885535

created by rob gooch. not to be confused with the english word though.

you can use it to meet and greet, describe a word, take place of a
word... pretty much anything.

"sup though?"

"hey uhh... whats up though?"

"nothing though"

"uhh... though though"

"though"

by rob gooch
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=rob+gooch> April 25, 2009

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=though&defid=3917041

*THO***

Short for 'though.' Most often found in IRC
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IRC>s,IM
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IM>s, and blog
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blog>s.

Jeez like I saw this dude fall but he was ok, lolololol. Ouch tho!

by Dark Tree
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Dark+Tree> March 05, 2005

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tho&defid=1102801

Slang word for "though" and used far too often by people who ride fixie
bikes, hypebeasts, and any other person(s) who associates themselves
with the media. More or less to followers of Drake and Kid Cudi.

Me: Wassup tho?
You: Nothing much tho? What 'bout you tho?
Me: Same tho. Wanna grab a bite to eat tho?
You: Alright tho! I'm hella hungry tho!
Me: Me too tho!
You: :) tho.

by realhiphoplives
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=realhiphoplives>
August 30, 2010

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tho&defid=5189796

Short for "though". Usually used by girls.

"That booty tho"

by Trixus_da_kid
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Trixus_da_kid> January
11, 2014

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tho&defid=7482188

*DOE***

An alternative term for the word "though"

ex. "but not really doe"

ex. "put yo team on yo back, doe"

ex. "you mad ignint doe"

by Dom Mazzetti
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Dom+Mazzetti> April
04, 2011

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Doe&defid=5720705

An idiot's way of saying "though", usually at the end of a sentence.

That hair doe.

Those lips doe.

But really doe.

by Use your words
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Use+your+words> April
24, 2013

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=doe&defid=7029974

Alternative to "though". Frequently used by those in the british
grime/underground music scene, and by those looking to sound "hard".

Chris: Dat gyal is peng doe
Andre: DATS MY GYAL BRUV
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BRUV>, ARE YOU GONNA
BANG DOE???
Chris: It's cool bruv, she jus' fit bruv

by DO NOTWANT
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=DO+NOTWANT> October
27, 2010

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Doe&defid=5311517

n. A gangster version for the word "dawg".

Eh yo shaw-ty, me and yo momma gon' hook up on da fifteen of Decemba,
aight doe?

by 50 cent aka ferrari f-50 break it down, i got a lo
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=50+cent+aka+ferrari+f-50+break+it+down%2C+i+got+a+lo>
November 08, 2003

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=doe&defid=338585

1) Slang word for dude, man, mang etc.