[Ads-l] pornographic

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Nov 5 15:04:57 UTC 2014

I, too, wondered if the meaning of "internet (sexual) pornography"
prevented the meaning of "luridly appealing internet stuff" from
attaching to it, and had a similar question for "child pornography" and
"kiddie porn"--I don't think I'll ever find that referring to impossibly
cute baby pictures, baptism pictures, pictures of kids in Halloween
costumes, etc.

Neal

On 11/5/2014 9:43 AM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: pornographic
>
> Is there a difference in the use of 'porn' to refer to 'Luridly appealing
> to a debased sensibility' and the use of the full word 'pornography'?
> On Nov 2, 2014 11:20 PM, "Benjamin Barrett" <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: pornographic

>> Some of these variations have been discussed here before. I wonder, =
>> though, if you could have internet porn in the sense that there is =
>> reality porn. Wikipedia, social media, Google and all kinds of other =
>> internet sites put together. Would the stress pattern change? BB
>>
>>> On Nov 2, 2014, at 8:11 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET> =
>> wrote:
>>> =20
>>> =20
>>> Other examples of more generalized pornography that come to mind =
>> include:
>>> =20
>>> food porn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_porn
>>> disaster porn:=20
>>> http://inthesetimes.com/article/5487/our_addiction_to_disaster_porn
>>> earth porn: http://earthporn.org/
>>> =20
>>> A COCA search for "[nn*] porn" also turns up torture porn, reality =
>> porn,=20
>>> death porn, and (new to me) ruin porn. Of course, there's also stuff=20=
>>> like "kiddie porn" and "internet porn," in which "porn" still has its=20=
>>> more specific meaning.
>>> =20
>>> Neal
>>> =20