[Ads-l] Jockey shorts WAS: Article on "Preppy, " "Jock, " and "Wonk" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 10 22:47:44 UTC 2014

At 11/10/2014 02:58 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>OED has 1951 for jockey shorts
>_Cornell Daily Sun_ 13 May 1936 p 6
>"Jockey Shorts . . . . . . 50¢"
>[advertisement for The Kollegetown Shop]

So the origin is shorts ("under-drawers", in
OED-ese) for jocks, not shorts for
jockeys?  Inferred from
"Kollegetown".  (Apparently Kollege Town Sports
is still in existence, but if it's a successor it has inserted a space.)

Joel