[Ads-l] Jockey shorts WAS: Article on "Preppy, " "Jock, " and "Wonk" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 11 12:36:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) wrote:
>
>> _Cornell Daily Sun_ 13 May 1936 p 6
>> "Jockey Shorts . . . . . . "
>> [advertisement for The Kollegetown Shop]
>
> books.google.com/books?isbn=3D0803267290
> From this Dark Stairway - Page vii - Google Books Result
> Mignon Good Eberhart - 1931 - Fiction
> Creating a woman who is harder-boiled than the male, it seems to me, is no
> great proof of independent thinking - no more, certainly, than the
> brilliant feminist idea of a few years back that women ought to wear
> jockey shorts. If you find it comfortable, then by all means do it.

That's from the introduction to a later edition, written in 1996,
according to the copyright page.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iDFaKhyT9h8C&pg=PR7

--bgz

--