[Ads-l] /d/ for flapped t

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 15 16:25:33 UTC 2014

I assume when one is talking about a "flapped t" they are not talking about a true "t" at all because that involves the tongue making a slight air dam in back of the upper teeth and letting it go with a bit of a pop and an aspiration.or hiss  .  These are usually done well at the beginning of a word for letter "t" but usually degenerate to a "d" sound (without the hiss) in the middle of a word and glottalized at the end of a word.  I just can't perceive the sound "d" being made by a flapped tongue tip.  I think the tongue does flap for a Spanish r as I try to say it..

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now FL 12.See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk