[Ads-l] /d/ for flapped /t/

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Nov 15 21:07:04 UTC 2014

At 11/15/2014 03:54 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> > I think I even lower the tone of the "a" when I say "ladder" as compared
>to "latter".
>
>I have no doubt that I do.

Same for me when I say "rider" vs."writer".  And I see "long vowel"
means it takes longer to say (I never made that connection before,
since I naively have taken "long" and "short" merely to differentiate
the *sound* of two vowels).  "Longer to say" is definitely what I
hear when I (carefully) say any of the "double-D" words compared to
the "double-T" words.  If I'm .. sloppy? ... the pairs sound alike.

One might try to find pairs of words that have the same grammatical
function and semantically could be interchangeable in some (single) utterance.

Joel