[Ads-l] QOTY candidate (sports department)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 17 21:56:11 UTC 2014

In the sports world, one QOTY nominee is Bill Belichick's "We're on to Cincinnati", which officially became a meme--

http://nesn.com/2014/10/bill-belichicks-on-to-cincinnati-quote-spawns-amusing-twitter-meme/

--after the October 1 press conference at which the Patriots' coach responded to every question about the team's debacle in Kansas City with the response "We're on to Cincinnati" (the next team on their schedule).  The Patriots beat Cincinnati easily and have not lost since.

You can find parodies on the web from early October:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/02/toucher-rich-parody-song-were-on-to-cincinnati/
http://nesn.com/2014/10/frank-caliendo-spoofs-bill-belichicks-were-on-to-cincinnati-line-video/

…but it still gets mentioned, and mocked.  I was sort of expecting Obama at his last press conference to respond to questions about the midterms by saying "We're on to Cincinnati", but maybe the moment has passed, especially now that the Pats, who were 2-2 after the blowout loss in K.C., are now 8-2. But perhaps that just means that "turning the page", as the cliché goes, and moving "on to Cincinnati" was the way to go.

LH