[Ads-l] Desperate Last Plea for Most Notable Quotations of 2014

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Nov 20 06:23:16 UTC 2014

I haven’t been following this thread closesly, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this one, but have you thought about VC Tom Perkins’ memorable comparison of the War on the One Percent to Kristallnacht?

Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its "one percent," namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the "rich.” From the Occupy movement to the demonization of the rich embedded in virtually every word of our local newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, I perceive a rising tide of hatred of the successful one percent. … This is a very dangerous drift in our American thinking. Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendent "progressive" radicalism unthinkable now?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/venture-capitalist-says-war-on-the-rich-is-like-nazi-germanys-war-on-the-jews/283347/

Geoff