[Ads-l] Black Friday in Rochester, NY, 1961

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 30 21:33:41 UTC 2014

That's extraordinary, Barry!  Thanks for sharing it and thanks to Ben
for forwarding it.

This usage in Rochester, New York, may (or may not) explain an ad I've
been looking at for some time.  It was published in The Daily
Republican (Monangahela, Pennsylvania) on Friday, November 27, 1959,
the day after Thanksgiving that year.  See the bottom right corner of
the page below (PDF).

http://www.med.unc.edu/uploads/sxkbw.thedailyre.pdf

(That link will remain there for a week.)

I haven't known what to make of it, because it struck me as somewhat
odd that whoever laid out this ad for a used-car lot would refer to
"Black Friday."  I figured that maybe the same ad had run two weeks
earlier, on a Friday the 13th (and we know that Fridays the 13th have
been referred to as "Black Friday" before), which still may be the
case.  I suppose I should go looking to see if the same ad ran that
day as well.

In any event, this is very exciting news.

-- Bonnie