"whale" = something improbable; cock-and-bull story; falsehood, circa 1700?

Fri Oct 3 16:53:16 UTC 2014

Below is an instance in 1815 in which a writer describes two political
doctrines that he believes conflict. He then states: ["It is very like
a whale" to pretend to believe both]. Perhaps the phrase here means:
It is very implausible, or it is very deceptive.

Periodical: Niles' Weekly Register
Date: July 1, 1815
Article: School Books
Database: Google Books Full View

http://bit.ly/1vEOCc7

http://books.google.com/books?id=gJE-AAAAYAAJ&q=%22like+a+whale%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
But, softly, gentlemen--I tell you plainly that it is just "as
possible for a camel to go through the eye of a needle" as for a man
that believes in the "divine authority" of kings, to subscribe to the
doctrine that all authority is derived from the people. "It is very
like a whale" to pretend to believe both: And yet it is fashionable.
You can hardly take up a jacobin newspaper without seeing both
subjects spoken of in the same column.
[End excerpt]