"fancy-girl", long antedating 1892-- (OED2)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 8 15:15:30 UTC 2014

Wilson, your logic is hardly impeccable.  That there were black slave
"kept women" (AKA "fancy-girls") cherished and well-treated by their
"keepers" does not prove that there were not others who were used
casually, without affection, and ill-treated.  (I visualize "Twelve
Years a Slave".)

Or do you think "mistress" can mean *any* woman not his wife with
whom a man copulates, even casually?  That's not my understanding,
nor is it supported by the OED in either of its two relevant senses:

5.a. A woman loved and courted by a man; a female sweetheart. Obs.

7. A woman other than his wife with whom a man has a long-lasting
sexual relationship.

Joel