Modern Proverb: If you are not at the table, you may be on the menu.

Sun Oct 12 02:35:49 UTC 2014

Fred will set his own guidelines on that question, I imagine. Perhaps
the AP has offered guidance.

If a quotation collector wished to include the saying in an annual
list then he or she could construct a category such as "Most
Interesting Revitalized Quotation(s)".

Here is an example of a saying revitalized by Steve Jobs in 1993:

[Begin excerpt]
Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to
bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what
matters to me.
[End excerpt]

I Don’t Want To Be the Richest Man in the Cemetery
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/18/richest-in-cemetery/

Many words could be used to describe the category and the connotations
would vary greatly: revitalized, plagiarized, resuscitated, lifted,
recovered, etcetera.

Garson