[Ads-l] testing intelligent quotes

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 17 15:44:44 UTC 2014

To Dan and Garson,

1)  It has occurred to me that there is an
(existential?) problem here -- can I be sure that
what I see when someone sends me a message like
Garson's (below) is what the sender sees when he/she displays it?

I can presumably resolve this dilemma by asking a
question only in characters that everyone can
understand, because it is said in an Esperanto (so-called Latin One).

Thus in Garson's message below, are the =20 and
=93abc=94 =91def=92 also what Garson
saw?  (Actually, I'm sure the answer here is "yes".)

2)  The =20 is presumably what Garson's email
handler creates from one of the various
end-of-line characters.  There is no single,
standardized encoding for "end of line".  See the
the entertaining Wikipedia article "Newline"
--  "In computing, a newline, also known as a
line ending, end of line (EOL), or line break, is
a special character or sequence of characters
signifying the end of a line of text. The actual
codes representing a newline vary across
operating systems, which can be [sic!] a problem
when exchanging text files between systems with
different newline representations."  (The
representations are formed from LF (Line Feed),
Carriage Return (CR), or various combinations thereof.)

3)   Garson's message reminds me of a supposition
I came to months ago, but perhaps did not
communicate to this list -- the "mangling" Garson
sees (as do I) comes from senders using gmail.

4)  WB noted today:

>WB noted earlier: The only safe path through the ADS-List mine field
>is the U.S. keyboard alphabet & numbers, some punctuation, etc.  Aisle
>type up my notes in Libre Office Writer (because itch free), copy &
>paste into an ebola-proof washing machine (Note Pad, spitting out
>.txt), recopy & paste into an ADSLpated message, trying to remember to
>strip out umlauts, graves, acutes, circumflexes, genuflexions, quotes,
>apostrophes.

However, I was able (with Eudora) to place
(intelligent) quotes into a message to ADS-L, and
receive them back properly.   I am also able to
use the Latin One accents (as listed by WB,
excluding genuflexions) with ADS-L.  (I construct
such characters by switching temporarily to the
(Windows) "United States - International"
keyboard mapping.)  Can I infer that it is WB's
email application, not the list, that is
misunderstanding these ïntelligent"quotes, the accents, etc.?

5)   I don't yet have an understanding of when
and how the "mangling" into representations like
’ (a-circumflex / euro sign / trade-mark)
occurs.  It would help if someone who receives
such representations will let the list know what
their email application is.  (Unfortunately, I
can't do this myself, because Eudora seems addled
-- it has displayed things like ’ in some
messages from some list members, but it cannot
afterward locate such messages via its Find function!)

Joel