[Ads-l] The Shakespearean play-goer who complained of the cliches

Thu Oct 30 05:21:48 UTC 2014

Some kind individuals on the W0mbats mailing list helped identify
another instance of the type of joke Benjamin mentioned at the start
of this thread. Previously, I posted a 1936 citation. The cite below
was published in 1945, but it is a closer match to Benjamin's
instance.

[ref] 1945, Laughing Stock: Over Six-hundred Jokes and Anecdotes of
Uncertain Vintage, Edited by Bennett Cerf, Quote Page 130 and 131,
Grosset and Dunlap, New York. (Verified with scans; Internet
Archive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Guy Williams, of the Omaha World Herald, had his ears pinned back by a
nice old lady to whom he had urgently recommended a volume of
Shakespeare's plays. "I can't understand why you all make such a fuss
over that man," she told him after she had looked over the book. "All
he's done is string together a whole lot of very old, well-known
quotations."
[End excerpt]

The Quote Investigator website now has an entry on a closely
related/overlapping topic and list members are acknowledged.

[Begin excerpt]
Great thanks to Benjamin Barrett who raised this general topic on the
ADS mailing list which led QI to formulate this question and perform
this exploration. Special thanks to the other mailing list discussion
participants.
[End excerpt]

Now We Sit Through Shakespeare in Order to Recognize the Quotations
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/10/28/recognize/

Garson