[Ads-l] Britspeak :spin, span(!), spun

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Fri Oct 31 02:37:32 UTC 2014

Not a lot of _span_.  DARE and OED have it from 1850's and DARE even has one
from 1980's.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Wilson Gray
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:45 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Britspeak :spin, span(!), spun

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
---

"A[n air]craft being flown at the Paris airshow _span_ out of control and
crashed."

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/07/10-abandoned-churches-mortuary-chape
ls-cathedrals/

I recall something from somewhere, somewhen (a casual Googling: 1651)

When Adam delved
And Eve _span_,
Who was, then,
The gentleman?

_Spann_ is the OE past, but I had no idea that anyone still used it.

--
-Wilson
-----