"smart off" and another metaphorical "north of" on NBC news

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 5 02:03:38 UTC 2014

I'm surprised that "smart off" in the relevant - or in any other - meaning
is so rare and obscure! It's as unexpected - to me, anyway - as "laid to
the bone" meaning "drunk and/or high."

Youneverknow.

Boys' Life - Dec 1970 - Page 58
books.google.com/books?id=Vo0lBgYISR4C
Vol. 60, No. 12 - ‎Magazine - ‎Full view

"We call the shots like we see them. ... Your parents bought a two-bit
ranch at the end of Gooseberry Run and think they can make it go. You go
over to town and

_smart off_

to the school board and the superintendent and take a lot of fancy courses
in how to drive."

--
-Wilson
-----