America's War on Language

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 5 14:09:51 UTC 2014

At 9/4/2014 11:29 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>On Sep 4, 2014, at 8:03 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> > ---------------------- Information from the
> mail header -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: America's War on Language

> > WG:  <<My friend, Hideo, . . . chose to go with a nice swastika.>>
> > WB:  Swastikas can be seen anywhere in Taiwan; they are identified with
> > Buddhism. When first arriving in Taiwan, I saw packages of instant noodles
> > with swastika logos. I call the TKU student union <<Nazi Headquarters>>,
> > because at the entrance is an elaborate fac,ade of hundreds of Hakenkreuze.
> > And of course as decorations on the ubiquitous shrines, temples, and
> > statuary therein.
> >     Hideo's classmates might have been drawing pictures of Jesus, back
> > when it was okay to do so in school. But, ya never know. He mighta had a
> > midget sub in his basement. Better safe than sorry. Assume he didn't have
> > any bansai plants, that woulda clinched it.
>
>Although there seems to be some cross-over,
>orientation is important. The right-handed
>swastika is the Nazi symbol. The left-handed swastika is Buddhist. BB

Are you sure?  I wondered, and looked at the
Wikipedia article, which discusses "Geometry" and
says "Nazi
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensign>ensigns had
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_and_through>through
and through image, so both versions were present,
one on each side, but the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_flag#Nazi_Germany>Nazi
flag on land was right-facing on both sides and
at a 45° rotation."  The swastika illustration it
calls "a
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol>symbol of
auspiciousness in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism"
also is right-facing.  (The swastika on the Nazi
flag, however, is rotated 45 degrees; see "Flags of Germany".)

Joel