Q: What species is "put me on the serious" (1744)?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 8 18:37:16 UTC 2014

I came across the following, and am wondering how to classify it.

"This Contrast in these two, and the eagerness with which they
Espous'd their Favorite Topicks one of Praising, and the other of
Blaming, put me on the Serious, to Consider the Motives from which
they both Acted".

"Journal of William Black, 1744".
In Pennsylvania Mag. Hist. & Biogr. (1877) I. [no. 4] [410]

I' tempted to call it "serious, adv., sense 2, antedates OED3
1853--", but other opinions are welcome.

There are 3 ghits in Google Web for "put me on the serious", but in
each the form is "put me on the serious <noun>" (egg street, stuff,
and backburner).  My at-home resources are limited.

Joel