Early "skibbies" (1918), "skivvies" (1920)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 13 00:35:31 UTC 2014

Another 1918, this time in the modern spelling:

1918 [copyright] in _Daily Illinois State Register_ (Springfield, Ill.)
(Jan. 26, 1919) 14: Training To Be a Marine Is Not All Work ...[A]n athlete
[is] in the act of putting on his "skivvies."

I don't believe this quot. has been previously noted. It illustrates Doug's
comment on b/v alteration:

1941 _Idaho Statesman_ (Boise) (Dec. 17) 4: Californians have an odd term
for the Japanese. They call the little brown people "skibbies" or
"skivvies," there being some confusion in the pronunciation.

JL