swabbie, swabbo

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Sep 13 06:48:58 UTC 2014

--

This "swabbo" is new to me AFAIK.

Cf. "swab-O sign": I understand this to refer to an "OK"/"good" gesture
with the index finger and the thumb forming a circle, but I can't
remember where I got this idea.

Quick Google shows me three instances of this term referring to some
kind of gesture, all three compatible with a hand gesture with the sense
"OK", all in fictional works by Poul Anderson. Since I spent a portion
of my youth reading material by this author, it might could be that I
got it from him.

Maybe the shape of the sign suggests "zero" ("O").

-- Doug Wilson