to "front-run"

Sun Sep 14 22:47:17 UTC 2014

JL wrote:
> App. ='To anticipate; reveal or guess at; get ahead of'
>
> Policy advisor on CNN: "I'm not going to front-run any statements from the
> White House."
>
> He said it two or three times.

"to front run" "front running" has been used in the domain of
securities trading for at least a couple decades. The sense employed
on CNN might be an extension:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_running

[Begin excerpt]
Front running is the illegal practice of a stockbroker executing
orders on a security for its own account while taking advantage of
advance knowledge of pending orders from its customers. When orders
previously submitted by its customers will predictably affect the
price of the security, purchasing first for its own account gives the
broker an unfair advantage, since it can expect to close out its
position at a profit based on the new price level.
[End excerpt]

Garson