Gentleman Harry Simms, Flash, and the OED

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Sep 15 06:13:47 UTC 2014

Kudos to Garson for proving me wrong and vindicating the reputation of
George Borrow.

We now have -- A Narrative of the Various Exploits, Robberies, and
Adventures, of Henry Simms, written by himself, after Conviction -- printed
in 1764, probably based on material provided by Simms himself, with a
specific reference to "Flash Language".  This is taken up and quoted, both
title and reference to the Flash Language, by Borrow in _Zincali_, probably
directly from the _Select Trials_ of 1764, since the republication of the
text in _The Terrific Register_ of 1825 fails to reproduce the title of
Simms' work.

This still leaves a gap between 1747, when Simms is hanged, and 1764, but
it's a short enough space of time to allow the text to derive directly from
Simms.

Following on from Garson's discovery, I found that the text of A Narrative
is also reproduced in _The Tyburn Chronicle_, Vol. III, pp. 179 ff, also
printed in 1764, which may constitute an independent witness to the Simms
Narrative text.

Now if someone can provide a bridge between 1747 and 1764 ...  There is
this, from the end of John Taylor, then Ordinary of Newgate's Account of
Simms:

        On Monday next (June 21) will be publish'd, Price Six-pence, The
above mention'd LIFE of   Henry Simms, call'd Gentleman Harry.
        All Wrote with his own Hand.
        Printed for   Thomas Parker and   Charles Corbett.
        N. B. For the Satisfaction of the Curious, the Original Copy wrote
by Gentleman Harry, consisting of near 30 Sheets, may be seen at the above
C. Corbett's.

Perhaps The Narrative, as found in the _Select Trials_ that Garson
identified, is based on this manuscript, before it was sanitised by John
Taylor in the Life as published in 1747.

Robin Hamilton