Dialect clash

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 16 02:42:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Or possibly a (female, southern) bear saying to herself, "I've gotta =
> find me a place to live--those cubs are on the way".  The ursine dative.

Nice interpretation, Larry! I missed that one entirely. My excuse is that I
knew that "her" was my friend's daughter going back to college. But,
lacking that bit of context, pretty much the *only* interpretation is
something like,

"[I looked up and saw that] it was a bear finding her a place to live[,
like, somewhere for to make her a den].

--
-Wilson
-----