euphemistic use of "exempt"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 17 12:51:36 UTC 2014

I'm no employment expert, but I believe this use of 'exempt' is consistant
with the normal use of the word in employment contexts. The most common
example is the overtime exemption -- if you are exempt, you can still work
the hours, but you can't get paid for it. The exemption refers to the
application of the law. In Peterson's case, it is the normal provisions of
the agreement with the players union.