euphemistic use of "exempt"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Sep 17 14:05:21 UTC 2014

More generally, under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, executive, administrative, professional and outside sales employees are exempted from the Act's minimum wage and overtime pay protection standards.  These personnel are usually referred to as "exempt employees," while personnel who are protected by those standards are "non-exempt employees."  So, for example, if my employer asks me, a professional employee, to work late (which happens approximately daily, except that I don't get asked, it just happens), I do not get paid time and a half, or for that matter anything, for the extra hours.  If I ask my secretary, a non-exempt employee, to work late with me, she will be paid time and a half.

I don't think this has anything to do with the Vikings' announcement.  They seem to be using the term as Jon suggests.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Geoff Nathan
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:04 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: euphemistic use of "exempt"

In some other unionized context (such as universities) 'exempt' means 'not a member of the union', and therefore not subject to restrictions on hiring and firing ('exempt' employees are usually 'at-will', and can be fired without cause). Also they can be subjected to more stringent employment restrictions, but can also supervise others.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.