Web: "... _chocked_ it up to experience" [NT]

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 20 00:23:46 UTC 2014

I assume the phrase "... _chocked_ it up to experience" was given by someone in writing not a transcript of what was actually said.  It should be "chalked" not "chocked".  The explanation is that in a region of awe-droppers, they say "ah" instead of "awe" for all words having the "awe" sound.  So one would hear "chocked up to experience" and thus assume the word actually should be spelled "chocked" and spell it "chocked" when they write it, not knowing it's a mispronunciation.
This error is similar in the misinterpreted phrase to "hock (instead of hawk) one's wares"  In a recent antacid add the lady said "Are you eating chock? (for chalk).   And in the Bridgegate scandal some folks are saying "Don" instead of "Dawn" for a particular lady's name.  There is no good in awe-dropping.  Linguists should unite to defeat it.
Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now FL 12.See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk